We all know issues can happen at certain times or days but tracking them down can be difficult. Teksavvy has no monitor programs so we can only see minimal information as to what is wrong. Due to this, we ask customers to do as much possible to provide us with important details as to what is going on.
What should I be tracking?
First of all the light pattern from your modem. This can tell you many things about what is going wrong. For instance, if you notice the entire lights go dark, then slowly come back and reset, that could be an power issue! We recommend trying a different power source to the modem. Even if other things are normal, it could be voltage related.
Does it happen only at a certain time of the day? Monitor to see what else could be turning on at that exact moment. It could be feedback on the line due to something on that same line forcing it to turn off for a moment or not have enough power sources.
If you are having a modem and router, also make sure you watch both and work with both. Try to plug directly into the modem for instance before it occurs. Then stay that way and see if it occurs. If not, it could be a setting in your router causing it, firmware, or even its own power sources causing it. There are settings like Idle settings and Parental controls that could be going off that you had never set up! Someone else on the network may have done so.
The next part is wireless and wired tracking. Do both drop or only one of them? Its possible the LAN ports could be giving out, or something giving off wireless interference at a time causing your equipment to lose just those connections. For example, its possible when a train goes by, it causes enough electrical feedback to cause just the wireless network to stop working but all wired connections work fine.
Do keep in mind Teksavvy does not support internal networks and inside wiring. If problems not related to the modem to the outside network are not causing it. You would have to troubleshoot on your own to fix those kinds of issues.
There is also the possibility your Coax, Phone, Extenders, Filter or Splitter are slowly going bad too. We recommend to replace all cables (removing any additional items) just to make sure that is not causing it.
How can I open a ticket?
We will need you to provide as much as possible about the issue to properly proceed if you are certain it is nothing internal. Please complete the following and open a ticket by clicking here!
- Entire light pattern from when the issue starts to when it is resolved. We ask you avoid restarting the modem even if it fixes the issue. Just to see if the modem itself recovers. If you must restart the modem to fix it, let us know how long the light pattern was in effect until then. Make sure to note any flashing lights and any changes in colour!
- Have you replaced your Connection Cables (Coax / Phone) and removed any other devices? If the Cable is directly from your modem to outside, please check outside and see if you can notice anything. Just in case you can see if there is some damage.
- Tried another power source?
- Wired and Wireless drop at the same time or only one of them?
- Anything additional you have noticed when the issue happens?
- Time frames and when did you first notice the issue start to occur?
- Any additional pieces of information you can provide or additional troubleshooting you have done?
- Do you notice anything else strange when it happens? High winds, only when it rains / snows, and etc?
- If Cable internet, can you please get the Event logs from your modem? Open a web browser on the computer and enter 192.168.100.1/192.168.0.1 (Note you cannot see event logs in bridged mode an must reset into routed mode to get them).
- There are a few possible logins for modems. You can leave the username field empty and enter admin for the password. You may need to leave both fields blank and click Login (for this model you may also need to remove the coax from the back of the modem to see the logs). Another model is admin with the password found on the sticker on the back of your modem. There is the 4400 that uses admin / bEn2o#US9s
- If none of those work let us know in your ticket so we can tell you which one will work.